The SAALAS (South African Association for Laboratory Animal Science) International Conference 2017 local organizing committee takes great pleasure in inviting you to join us at the beautiful Spier Wine Farm in Cape Town for the 2017 conference taking place from 1 November to 3 November. The International Council for Laboratory Animal Science (ICLAS) will convene its annual Governing Board (GB) meeting (30 & 31 October) in association with the SAALAS conference. We are pleased to announce that the ICLAS General Assembly on the 31 October will be open to all SAALAS members.
Under the conference theme One Africa, One World, the conference brings together international expertise and the Pan-African Laboratory Animal Science (LAS) community. This will be a truly unique and unparalleled event for LAS in Africa. The scientific programme will cover a spectrum of subject areas, with an emphasis on the following:
The emphasis of the SAALAS Conference will be threefold –
- Offer world-class LAS education and training in Africa – for scientists, laboratory animal technologists, veterinarians, animal ethics committees, animal caretakers and welfare personnel;
- Establish a Pan-African Network in Laboratory Animal Science, in order to build sustainable capacity-development programmes in Africa by formation of a support network of allied professionals, organisations, institutions, resources, skills, mentorship & personnel exchange;
- As overarching goal, to advance scientific standards, animal ethics and wellbeing in Africa.
The conference will be ideally suited for:
- laboratory animal technologists,
- animal welfare officers,
- animal ethics committee members,
- designated veterinarians,
- animal caretakers,
- veterinary nurses (involved in animal research),
- and animal facility managers.
We look forward to welcoming you to Cape Town in October 2017!
The conference will be taking place at Spier. Chosen by the committee as it embodies the culture and beauty of the Western Cape. Set against a backdrop of the Stellenbosch mountains and heritage buildings, Spier Wine Estate is one of the oldest farms in the area, having been established in 1692.
For more information about Spier please visit www.spier.co.za
|REGISTRATION CATEGORY||EARLY BIRD BEFORE 30 JUNE 2017||LATE REGISTRATION FEE AFTER 30 JUNE 2017|
|SAALAS Members||R 3,200||R 3,600|
|Developing Country (incl. SA)||R 3,600||R 4,000|
|Other Country||R 4,200||R 4,800|
|Day ticket*||R 4,400||R 4,600|
NEW! *A day ticket is one conference registration that is shared between a maximum of three people, the registration will provide three tickets, one per day, allowing entrance for one person per ticket per day. Should you wish to take advantage of these shared tickets, please contact our conference organiser, Lara van Zyl (firstname.lastname@example.org) and do not register via the online portal.
There is an additional option of combining your conference registration with a one year private individual membership subscription to SAALAS, at a cost of R3600 (before 30 June 2017); R4000 (after 30 June 2017). In this instance, a membership application will be sent to you for completion after registration.
Registration fees include:
- Delegate participation in full conference incl. The ICLAS General Assembly.
- Tea/coffee breaks
- Conference bag
- Conference programme
- Access to the SAALAS AGM (for all SAALAS members)
A gala dinner will be held on the Thursday evening (2 November) at R550 a ticket, don’t miss out on this social event during which the SAALAS awards will be announced and the new committee!
Several Scholarships will be made available for attendees from African and developing countries. Scholarships will include full conference registration, accommodation and meals. Please note that airfare, visa and other costs are not included. Applications for a Scholarship should be submitted to Dr. Tamsyn Fourie ( email: email@example.com) by 28 July 2017 and must include the following information: 1-page CV, letter of motivation and abstract. Persons who receive scholarships will be required to present an oral presentation or poster at the conference. For further details please see attached call for abstracts document.
Registration terms & conditions
- Delegates cancelling registrations before 30 June 2017 will be entitled to a full refund less R200 administrative fee.
- Delegates cancelling registrations after 30 June 2017, before 10 August 2017 will be entitled to a 75% refund less R200 administrative fee.
- Delegates cancelling registrations after 10 August, before 10 September 2017 will be entitled to a 25% refund less R200 administrative fee.
- Delegates cancelling registrations after 10 September 2017 will be charged a 100% cancellation fee.
- Should you no longer be able to attend the conference, your registration can be transferred to a new delegate. Please inform the conference organiser in writing.
- Should you no longer be able to attend the conference, and you paid a registration including SAALAS membership, please inform the organiser whether you would like the membership fees refunded.
- All early bird registrations need to be paid in full by 15 June 2017.
- No delegate will be allowed access to the conference without full pre-payment of conference registration fees.
- Payment for conference registration fees must be made by EFT payment into the conference bank account.
- All banking details can be found on the invoice that you will receive after registration.
- Please use your invoice number as the reference when making payment.
On this website we collect information that you voluntarily provide, in order for us to process registrations and accommodation bookings as you request, as well as provide a better customer service.
We use the information provided to inform you of updates and send you relevant information regarding the SAALAS International Conference 2017. If you have selected the membership included option for registration, your details will be provided to SAALAS for their member list and the SAALAS policies regarding use of information will apply.
We do not sell, rent, or lease our delegate lists to third parties.
By accepting the terms and conditions of the registration process, you agree that we may pass your information onto committee members and sponsors.
The conference organiser has taken all reasonable care in making arrangements for the conference. In the event of unforeseen disruptions, neither the conference organiser or the organising committee of the SAALAS International Conference 2017 can be held responsible for any losses incurred by delegates. The program is correct at the time of printing, but organisers reserve the right to alter the programme if and when deemed necessary. The conference organiser acts as an agent and shall in no event be liable for acts or omissions in the event of injury, damage, loss, accident, delay or irregularity of any kind whatsoever during arrangements organised through contractors or by the employees of such contractors.
To register please CLICK HERE to go to the online registration portal
ACCOMMODATION: SPIER HOTEL
The conference organiser has negotiated favourable rates for the SAALAS International Conference delegates at Spier Hotel. To benefit from these rates, please book directly through the conference organiser at firstname.lastname@example.org or add to your registration when completing your registration form.
|HOTEL||STAR GRADING||LOCATION||ROOM TYPE||SINGLE||DOUBLE/TWIN|
|Spier Hotel||4||On site||Signature Room||R1,677||R1,858|
|Signature Garden Terrace Room||R1,727||R1,909|
Accommodation Terms & Conditions
- Rooms are quoted per room per night and are inclusive of breakfast, VAT & 1% tourism levy.
- All accommodation rates are guaranteed for bookings received before 30 June 2017.
- Any bookings received after 30 June 2017 will be booked on the best rate available and on an availability basis. As far as possible, the conference organiser will try to negotiate the same rate after 30 June 2017.
- Cancellations received on or before 30 June 2017, no cancellation fee will apply.
- Cancellations received after 30 June 2017, before 31 June 2017 will be charged a 15% cancellation fee.
- Cancellations received after 31 June 2017, before 15 August 2017 will be charged a 25% cancellation fee.
- Cancellations received after 15 August 2017, before 15 September 2017 will be charged a 50% cancellation fee.
- Cancellations received after 15 September 2017 will be charged 100% cancellation fee.
- Name changes to accommodation rooms will be allowed. Please inform the conference organiser in writing.
- Check in is from 16:00. Check out is by 11:00. Please contact the conference organiser should you have a special request.
- Payment for accommodation bookings must be made by EFT payment into the conference bank account.
- All banking details can be found on the invoice that you will receive after booking your accommodation.
- Please use your invoice number as the reference when making payment.
Accommodation can be booked with conference registration via the online registration portal: click me!!
Bring your dancing shoes and join us for the conference dinner taking place at Spier on Thursday, 2 November 2017.
The dinner starts at 19:00 ending at 23:00. Limited wine and soft drinks will be served and delegates are able to purchase any additional drinks. The awards will be handed out during the dinner and the new SAALAS executive committee announced. Don’t miss out on these exciting announcements!
Please don’t forget to book your ticket on registration and to advise on registration should you have any specific dietary requirements.
WALKING TOUR OF THE WINE FARM
For those arriving early, there is an option to do a voice map walking tour of the farm on Tuesday afternoon after the general assembly. Bring your walking shoes and let’s enjoy an afternoon walk together.
Conference organisers reserve the right to cancel this event should there not be sufficient interest.
SAALAS FUN RUN / WALK
Conference attendees may participate in the SAALAS Fun Run / Walk. This will take place on Thursday morning at 6 am. The 3 km or 5 km run is included in registration fee, but it is necessary to confirm your participation when registering on Wednesday.
The organisers reserve the right to cancel the event should there not be sufficient entrants.
COCKTAIL WELCOME EVENT
Details to be announced.
INFORMAL MEET AND GREET
There will be an informal, pay your own way, meet and greet on Tuesday evening, for those that are at the venue early. We will meet at one of the restaurants on site at 20:00
THINGS TO DO AT THE VENUE
There are many activities at the conference venue. The Spier Wine Estate has the following amenities, for use at your own cost,
- Eagle Encounters: rehabilitating and releasing birds of prey and promoting conservation and education. Enjoy up-close-and-personal interactions with eagles, hawks, falcons, owls, kites, buzzards, snakes and lizards. www.eagle-encounters.co.za
- Wine tasting & Spier wines available at cellar door prices (www.spier.co.za/wine/home)
- Eight to go Deli
- Hoghouse BBQ & Bakery
- Restaurant at the hotel
- Eight Restaurant
- Segway tours of the farm
- Walking tours of the farm
- Spa at the hotel
See www.spier.co.za/visit for more information
Programme at a glance –see attachment below
NEW! CALL FOR ABSTRACTS
The scientific committee invites all interested parties to submit their abstracts for presentation as talks or posters at the upcoming SAALAS International Conference 2017.
There will be eleven conference sessions. Abstracts for poster sessions or oral presentation in the following key areas of focus are invited:
- One Africa, One World
- The African Laboratory Animal Science (LAS) Network
- International harmonization / Regulations
- Quality Management systems / Accreditation
- Harms-benefit Assessment and the 3R’s
- Animal Facilities and Management
Abstracts for poster sessions in the abovementioned key areas of focus are welcome, as well as the following additional key areas:
- Education and Training
- Experimental design
- Training of animal ethics committees
- Veterinarians in LAS
Please submit your application form (see attachment below), abstract, 1-page CV, photograph & biography via email to email@example.com. Submission deadline is 04 August 2017. Please refer to attached “call for abstracts document” for further details.
SPONSORS / EXHIBITORS
- Click here for sponsors
- See Prospectus below
List of exhibitors
- coming soon
Sponsorship / Exhibition Opportunities
Dear Industry Partners,
The local organising committee takes great pleasure in inviting you to be a sponsor and/or exhibitor at the SAALAS international Conference 2017. For further information please refer to the attached prospectus below or contact the conference organiser, Lara van Zyl at firstname.lastname@example.org
For further information regarding registration, accommodation or the conference, please contact the conference organiser:
Lara van Zyl
Silver Apple Events
082 223 4684