The South African Association for Laboratory Animal Science (SAALAS) is a non-profit organisation serving South African Scientists involved in the breeding, husbandry and welfare of laboratory animals, and also those individuals at secondary schools, tertiary educational institutions and state and privately owned research institutions using laboratory animals for teaching, research, the production of products and the testing thereof.
It is the objective of SAALAS to:
- Promote the advancement of laboratory animal science for the benefit of both animals and man,
- Encourage and facilitate the exchange of scientific information in all fields of laboratory animal science,
- Foster co-operation between investigators and laboratory animal personnel for their mutual benefit,
- Actively promote education and training in laboratory animal science and technology and establish recognised Standards of proficiency for laboratory animal personnel,
- Establish standards for laboratory animal facilities and for animal care,
- Establish guidelines for humane and ethical use of animals for teaching and research, and
- Co-operate with other organisations concerned with laboratory animal science, technology and animal welfare.