The main responsibility of a Laboratory Animal Technologist (LAT)
This week we will not only be celebrating Laboratory Animal Technologist Day but recognise and celebrate laboratory animal technologists for their essential contributions as members of the veterinary and research team.
Did You Know?
- LATs are involved with setting-up and ensuring that animal research projects are done as described in approved Animal Ethics Committee (AEC) protocols.
- LATs are directly responsible for ensuring that animals used for scientific purposes are provided with the best housing and care as well as maintaining the laboratory animal facility.
- LATs perform clinical procedures such as anaesthesia, substance administration, and sample collection.
- LATs manage laboratory animal breeding programs which may include specialised reproductive procedures like embryo transfers.
- LATs work with Quality Management Systems and are responsible for animal facility management tasks.