The UCT Research Animal Facility seeks to attract a suitably qualified and experienced South African Veterinary Council registered Veterinary Nurse / Laboratory Animal Technologist to perform para-veterinary duties in the UCT Faculty of Health Sciences Research Animal Facility (RAF) (50% of time) and the Drug Discovery and Development Centre (H3D) (50% of time). The main purpose of this position is to provide the UCT RAF and H3D with dedicated para-veterinary support and to ensure continued refinement of the animal health and welfare standards of research animals, in order to comply with ethical, animal welfare and legal requirements for conducting world-class scientific research.
• A relevant qualification as a Veterinary Nurse or Laboratory Animal Technologist (NQF 6)
• Current registration with the South African Veterinary Council as a Veterinary Nurse or Laboratory Animal Technologist
• At least one years’ experience working as a Veterinary Nurse or Laboratory Animal Technologist in an animal research environment or other relevant clinical environment with a proven track record and the ability to take responsibility to perform the competencies required for the post. Demonstrated ability to work as part of a team and independently with minimal supervision.
• Demonstrated ability to show initiative, enterprise and problem solve
• Evidence of planning and organisational skills
• Demonstrated ability to self-manage, excellent attention to detail and strong work ethic.
• Computer literacy: Microsoft outlook, word and excel.
• Excellent communication skills (oral and written)
• South African driver’s license
• Knowledge of the ethical principles for the use of animals in scientific research and teaching.
• Knowledge of laboratory animal husbandry, welfare-monitoring, care and treatment
• Provision of dedicated clinical and Para-veterinary support including performing clinical procedures
• Supervision and training of staff within the UCT- RAF and H3D
• Preparation, cleaning and maintenance of equipment and supplies
• Improvement and maintenance of quality management systems and processes
• Ensure compliance with ethical, welfare, legal, health and safety and operational requirements for conducting world-class research in a large and complex academic research animal facility
• Assist with the refinement and quality of care standards for animals
• Assume para-veterinary on call or emergency on call after hours duties including weekends and public holidays as required
The annual cost of employment, including benefits is between R371131 and R436624 (An additional payment for UCT-RAF Para-veterinary emergency on call duties applies if performed).
Please note: the recommended candidate will be required to undergo a pre-placement medical test.
To apply, please e-mail the below documents in a single pdf file to Ryan Johnson: firstname.lastname@example.org
1. UCT HR201 Application Form (download at http://forms.uct.ac.za/hr201.doc)
2. Letter of motivation for the application
3. Curriculum Vitae (CV)
4. Proof of current registration with the South African Veterinary Council
Telephone: (021) 4067752 Website: www.hr.uct.ac.za
Reference number: E22409 Closing date: 26 May 2022
“UCT is a designated employer and is committed to the pursuit of excellence, diversity, and redress in achieving its equity targets in accordance with the Employment Equity Plan of the University and its Employment Equity goals and targets. Preference will be given to candidates from the under-represented designated groups including candidates with disabilities.” . Our Employment Equity Policy is available at www.hr.uct.ac.za/hr/policies/employ_equity
UCT reserves the right not to appoint.
Comments are closed.